Relaxations on most of the specific restrictions brought in to help control the spread of coronavirus have been relaxed from Monday 19 July 2021.

Government guidance is available to help businesses and other organisations ensure customers, staff and visitors are kept as safe as is reasonably possible. This government guidance will continue to be developed and many service sectors are developing their own guidance to help with practical interpretation.

Returning to workplaces

The government is no longer instructing people to work from home if they can, so employers can start to plan a return to workplaces.

Employers and others must continue to follow statutory health and safety requirements, conduct a risk assessment, and take reasonable steps to manage risks in their workplace or setting.

Read guidance on the Health and Safety Executive website about updating your risk assessment to:

  • manage the risk of coronavirus
  • protect vulnerable workers
  • manage hygiene, cleaning and more

Help to prevent the spread of coronavirus

Staff members or customers should self-isolate if they (or someone in their household has) have:

  • a persistent cough
  • a high temperature
  • lost their sense of taste or smell

They must also self-isolate if they or a close contact has had a positive COVID-19 result, or if they've been to to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

If you know that a worker is self-isolation you must not allow them to come to work. It is an offence to do this.

Read more information from the NHS about when to self-isolate and what to do.


When any buildings reopen after lockdown, it is essential that water systems are not put back into use without considering the risks of Legionnaires’ disease.

There is an increased risk of waterborne pathogens such as Legionella bacteria being present as a consequence of the conditions that lockdown may have created. These references provide guidance:

Contact us

We have the authority to deal with the health and safety issues arising from coronavirus in certain premises including shops, hotels, restaurants and pubs for example. For some businesses the Health and Safety Executive or other agencies are the appropriate body to contact instead. You can check by visiting the Health and Safety Executive website

Contact us if you have any queries:

Food businesses: contact Food Safety

Tel: 01305 251010
Full contact details

Share this page