Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Overseas electors

Can British citizens living abroad vote?

British citizens living abroad can vote in UK parliamentary and European parliamentary elections but cannot vote in local elections.

British citizens living abroad for more than 15 years are not eligible to register to vote in UK elections.

How do I register to vote if I'm living abroad?

You can complete an  electoral registration form for a British citizen living overseasbut you do need to send the declaration to the council that covered the area in which you were last registered to vote.

You can find a council by searching a postcode.

What methods of voting are available?

You cannot vote in local elections if you are registered to vote as an overseas elector, but at other elections, overseas voters can opt to vote by post or proxy.

Postal votes are only sent out a week before election day, and you will need to consider whether this gives you enough time to complete and return your form in time. It may be better to appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf.

I don't know any British citizens here to sign my witness statement

Provided the form is signed by a British citizen living abroad, they do not need to be resident in the same country as you.  If this is also not an option, then the British consulate or Embassy staff often sign forms for people in your position

Why can I not vote if I have been away for more than 15 years?

The length of time that a UK citizen can vote once they have moved abroad is limited by law to 15 years.


Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.