Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Housing with support

There are housing options that provide support and care services. These include intentional communities and residential care.

Intentional communities

What is an intentional community?

They are communities set up for people who may:
  • have similar needs e.g. a disability
  • hold common social, religious or spiritual views

They are supportive of one another and share responsibilities and resources.

What are the benefits?

Within an intentional community, you could:
  • learn skills to live on your own
  • live in a community with others with similar needs to your own
  • socialise with others
  • work, such as on a farm or in a cafe
  • get support

Paying to live in a community

You would pay rent, and any service charges. If you get housing benefit, you could use it to cover all or some of the costs.

You might be able to get funding from the council. This will depend on your needs and a financial assessment. Speak to your social worker to find out more.

Intentional communities in Dorset

There are many communities in the UK, including in Dorset and Devon. Those in Dorset include:

Find out about other intentional communities in the UK.

Find out more

Speak to your social worker or contact an intentional community if you would like to know more.

Residential care

What is residential care?

Residential care is a form of housing where you also receive personal care. This option is for people who are unable to live on their own and look after themselves. You will receive 24 hour support by trained staff. The help you get will depend on your needs.

Residential care can help people with a range of needs. This includes

  • physical and learning disabilities
  • learning disabilities
  • brain injuries from an accident
  • mental health or emotional problems

Some care homes will cater for specific groups of people or needs. 

This form of care is suitable for some people, but you get less choice and control. You will live with others, but you cannot choose who you live with, but you may get a choice which home you live in. Make sure you consider all your options before making a choice.

How do I pay for residential care?

You may be able to get support from your local council to pay for residential care. This could be fully or part funded. The council will carry out an assessment to decide whether you need to have residential care.

If you do not qualify for support you will need to pay for your own care. However there are other types of funding available which can help with the cost. Find out more about paying for residential care.

More information

To find out more about residential care, visit:

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.