Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Benefits for young people living on their own

There are several benefits available to support you when living on your own. This includes help with rent and adaptations to your property.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is funding to help you pay your rent. You can get Housing Benefit if you are:

  • on benefits
  • if you have a job
  • if you're a student (and disabled)

See if you meet the criteria to claim Housing Benefit.

The amount of Housing Benefit you can get will depend on:

  • how much rent you pay
  • your income
  • where you live
  • the size of the property you rent

Visit Citizens Advice to find out more about Housing Benefit.

Council Tax reduction

You may be able to get Council Tax Support or a reduction in your Council Tax. This will depend on your individual circumstances.

Find out more about council tax support and reductions.

Disabled Facilities Grants

The Disabled Facilities Grant can help towards the cost of adaptation to your home to meet your needs.

Financial support for special equipment and adaptations in the home

You may be able to get support if you need:

  • to adapt your home because of your needs
  • special equipment

An Occupational Therapist will decide whether adaptations or equipment would benefit you. We may be able to carry out small adaptations for free. They can visit you in your home to discuss this.

If you are eligible for support, you can visit an Independent Living Centre to see and try out equipment.

Equipment or adaptations may include:

  • assistive technology, for example, to remind you to take your tablets
  • equipment to help you get around the home like walkers or hand rails
  • widening doors
  • soundproofing
  • altering bathroom and kitchen fittings to make them accessible from your wheelchair
  • 24 hour careline

Find out more about adaptations or equipment.

Costs you should consider

There may be other costs when living independently. You should consider these before moving out of home.

They may include:

  • bills such as electricity, water and gas
  • internet and phone payments
  • electricals and furnishings
  • a TV licence*

*You may be able to get a TV licence discount if you are registered blind or seriously sight impaired. Visit GOV to find out if you are eligible for a TV licence discount.

Other financial support

Find out about all benefits and grants available.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.