Children under 16 in school

If you're worried a young person who is in school has SEN, talk to their teacher. Schools have a duty to help meet the needs of all young people.

All schools have a  Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). The SENCO and teacher will gather information about the child's progress.

They will meet to decide if they think your child needs a special educational provision. You will then work with them to decide the course of action.

If they can, the school will then adapt the support they offer to all the pupils at the school to include this. This is the school's standard provision. If your child needs extra or different help than this, they will be considered to have SEN.

Young people over 16

This includes:

  • school 6th forms (both mainstream and special schools)
  • 6th form colleges
  • general further education (FE) colleges
  • 16 to 19 academies
  • special post 16 institutions
  • learning and training providers in the private or voluntary sector

If your child is in post 16 education, you should speak to their teacher/tutor. Post 16 providers have a duty to help young people with disabilities and medical needs. They are not required to have a SENCO, but they should have a named person in who takes on the duties. The teacher/tutor can put you in contact with them.

Further information for children from 11 to 18 years

Find out:

Share this page