Our vision for young people with SEN is exactly the same as for every other child and young person - to achieve well in school, find employment and go on to live happy and fulfilled lives.
The Harbour School Dorset is not yet rated by Ofsted as it's a new school.
We support autism spectrum conditions (ASC) from year 5 to year 9.
We admit pupils with:
- an education, health and care (EHC) plan
- a diagnosis of high functioning ASC
Admission is through the local authority panel process.
From September 2019 we will offer education from year 5 to year 9 and extend to offer year 5 to year 10 from September 2020.
Life is a journey, nothing can stop you reaching your goals and if you really want something in life you'll get it!
In addition to the national curriculum,
- Core- Emotional Literacy (EL)
- topic-themed work in Nurture Groups
Nurture Groups are where we group pupils together and explore the curriculum using themes. This means pupils can focus on special interests as a way of learning. Our curriculum also includes:
- enrichment options
- personal and social development
We provide Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3 differentiated national curriculum.
I'm working as a care assistant after studying Health and Social Care Level 2 whilst in school. I will be starting my Level 3 soon which will help me towards my goal of becoming a nurse.
A pupil in another Trust School
Next steps and transitions
Special school places are not always permanent. Every year a child or young person's special school placement will be reviewed as part of their education, health and care (EHC) plan review process and will discuss various options including:
- into adulthood
- life skills
- developing independence
- sixth form choices
- Local Offer after 16 years and after 19 years
Wellbeing and therapies
We offer these therapies at Harbour School Dorset:
- Independent Living Skills (ILS)
- road safety and travel training
- academic and social: Wider Key Skills
Our Rights Respecting therapies are:
- global citizenship
- online safety
- restorative approaches
Depending on the needs of your child these therapies may be available:
- speech and language therapy (SALT)
- occupational therapy (OT)
- drama therapies
Facilities and environment
Building design is at the planning phase. The plans for the permanent build include:
- carefully considered pathways around the school
- small classes with breakout spaces
- industry standard vocational areas
- forest school
- woodland and small animal care spaces
- music and sports facilities
- therapy room areas
- designated post-16 space
- courtyards and niche outside spaces
"This school gives you so many opportunities."
"I knew I had to knuckle down and work hard towards the things I needed."
"The school helps our children to believe in themselves and to move on to successful lives."