Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler.  Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Special schools in Dorset

All schools are required to be inclusive and most children and young people with SEND attend a mainstream school. 

Sometimes a special school or specialist resourced provision might be the best option for your child. You can talk about this with the people supporting your child. Usually, children and young people only attend one of these settings if they have an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

The local special schools we use include:

Special schools in Bournemouth and Poole include:

We place children in our own maintained special schools and work with neighbouring authorities in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) and Somerset to make sure children and young people are educated in a provision that's both appropriate for their needs and within their wider communities where possible.

Section 41 list

The government provides a list of specialist independent schools across the country that are approved by the Secretary of State. This is known as the Section 41 list. Most children and young people attending these settings have an EHC plan. 

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.