Dorset Special Educational Needs Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)
We're a free, impartial and confidential service that provides information, advice and support to:
- children and young people aged from 0 to 25 with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND)
- parents and carers of children and young people with SEND
We also work with:
- the local council in Dorset
- education and training providers
- the voluntary sector
- other agencies
We aim for parents and carers, children and young people to play an informed part in:
- planning provision
- agreeing outcomes to meet SEND
What support we can provide
SENDIASS officers are trained in SEND. They will help you:
- to express your views for assessments or meetings
- to find other support
- if there's a disagreement
- by listening to your concerns and talking to you about your choices and options
Our service provides:
- a telephone helpline with 24 hour voicemail
- an email advice line
- face-to-face support
- help to prepare for meetings
- written information
- signposting to other services and people who can help
- support through the education, health and care (EHC) plan process
Find out more about our service and how we can help in this video:
We're listening to you
We offer information on what to do if you have a concern about a child or young person.
We can give pass on your views about the Local Offer for SEND children and young people to the local authority.
Contact Dorset SENDIASS
Opening times for Dorset SENDIASS
We're open to help you
- 8:40am to 5:20pm from Monday to Thursday
- 8:40am to 4pm on Fridays
If we're helping other people when you call leave us a voicemail (24 hours), text us or email us and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
Response times for Dorset SENDIASS
We'll do our best to help you as soon as we can. During busy periods this can be up to 5 working days. We'll make sure we get back to you within the 5 working days.
Contact charity for families
You can also get in touch with Contact, a national charity for families with disabled children. This is a free helpline for parents and carers where you can get information and advice about special educational needs and disability (SEND):
Cancelled drop-in sessions due to coronavirus (COVID-19)
We've cancelled our drop-in sessions until after Easter following the government guidance on coronavirus. We'll let you know if anything changes.
You can still contact us by phone or email for support for:
- young people
- parents and carers
Read this easy-read advice about the coronavirus from Easy Read Online.
Resources and support services
Find support and other services in Dorset to help you.
Read the SEND guide for parents and carers from GOV.UK.