Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

What can I expect from my personal adviser?

Your personal adviser is there to help you to prepare to live independently and to offer advice and support after you leave care. Personal advisers get involved in discussions about your needs and your pathway plan. 

Your pathway plan

Your pathway plan is written by us in your local authority after consultation with you and the important people in your life. It sets out your needs, views and future goals and exactly what support you will receive from us. We review your pathway plan with you regularly so that it's kept up to date. 

We will try to let you keep the same personal adviser, though this won't always be possible. The amount of support you receive from your personal adviser will depend on what you want and your circumstances. 

Your leaving care team will consider with you what extra support you may need. You might, for example, need extra support because:

  • you have special educational needs or a disability
  • you're an unaccompanied asylum-seeking child (USAC) and your immigration status is unclear
  • you are in or leaving custody, or you have had contact with the criminal justice system
  • you're a young parent 
  • you're going through a difficult time in your personal life

Your right to be heard and taken seriously

You have a right to be involved in all decisions about your plans for leaving care. You have a right to have support from an independent advocate if you're thinking about challenging decisions about the care we give you.

Independent advocates can inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings. They are separate from social services. 

Find out about independent advocacy for people in the care of Dorset County Council.

You have a right to see the information we keep about you, including the files and records written about you when you were in care.

Contact the Care Leavers Team

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.