Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Supported lodgings

When you leave local authority care, or the family home if there's been a breakdown, you may not have the skills you need to live an independent life. 

Supported Lodgings is a service that provides you, as a young person aged 16 to 25, with a room of your own in a private home where you're a member of the household, but are not expected to become a member of the family. housing option which prepares you to live on your own.

Your host provides a safe and supportive environment, working with professional service, to help and support you to gain skills for independent adult life. This is by:

  • helping you to develop necessary life skills
  • building support networks
  • getting support and involvement from an interested adult

What room/facilities will I have access to?

You will have a separate bedroom and most often a front door key. You will have access to:

  • the kitchen
  • bathroom
  • sitting room
  • other facilities (decided between you)

What support will I get?

You will receive practical and emotional support depending on your needs.

You will get a support plan designed to help you gain skills towards your move-on plans. You will receive this at an initial meeting with:

  • your social worker
  • your Supported Lodgings worker
  • the provider

This will identify what support you need and the provider's role in ensuring you access this support.

What would I have to pay?

You would pay rent for the room and for your food and utilities. You'll get support to help claim benefits or to help budget your income to cover these payments.

What role will the supported lodgings provider have?

The Supported Lodgings provider has responsibility for:

  • supporting your progress
  • reporting any concerns your social worker
  • making regular contact with the Supported Lodgings worker

The provider does not have parental responsibility for you.

Become a supported lodgings provider

Find out how you can help young people in Dorset by providing Supported Lodgings

Find out more about supported lodgings

Talk to your social worker, personal advisor, or contact the Supported Lodgings Team:

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.