How we can support your education as a relevant care leaver.

Your personal education plan and Pathway Plan as a relevant care leaver

You're expected to stay in education, training or employment with training until you're 18 years old to gain qualifications. We'll ask you how you're doing and record this in your personal education plan (PEP) and Pathway Plan.

Your Personal Advisor or NEET re-engagement adviser will make sure you have full and up-to-date advice about:

If you're not sure what to do with your future we can help you access these projects for young people up to the age of 25 who are not in education, employment or training:

Our Where next? section may also help you with options if you're between 14 and 19 years old.

Education for relevant care leavers

16 to 19 bursary for college or sixth form

If you're aged between 16 and 18 in the September your course starts you can get a bursary of up to £1,200 from the setting where you'll be studying. This will help to cover costs involved in your course, including:

  • transport to get you there
  • equipment you need
  • trips you have to go on
  • uniform or suitable clothing

Course fees for relevant care leavers

It's unlikely that there will be course fees if you're at college or sixth form at the age of 16 or 17.

We may be able to help with fees if you're interested in other learning options like:

  • a part-time course
  • an online course
  • other training courses

We can talk your plans through with you.

IT equipment (computer or laptop) for relevant care leavers

If you're in education or learning for more than 12 hours per week, we'll try and help you with IT equipment, up to the value of £300. This will be your device and you'll need to take care of the maintenance and repair of it.

Help with childcare when studying as a relevant care leaver

If you are in education or training, you could get help towards your childcare costs. This will normally be through a bursary you apply for. If you cannot do this we'll look at your situation and what you may need to help with your learning.

Pathways to Employment Scheme with Dorset Council

We have a scheme that can offer you employment at Dorset Council through:

  • an apprenticeship
  • a traineeship
  • work experience

Speak with your social worker or Personal Advisor about the opportunities and financial help we can give you to support you on the scheme.

Apprenticeships for relevant care leavers

You can apply for a £1,000 bursary when you've been on your apprenticeship for 4 months.

Your training provider will help you apply for this bursary. You can use this money to help you with your travel, clothing and equipment you might need for your course.  

If you're doing an apprenticeship and you're paid less than the national living wage we'll help you with a bursary of £200 per month. We'll also help with your travel costs of up to £100 per month for the first year of your training.

Traineeships for relevant care leavers

If you study through a traineeship, you may be able to get a bursary depending on your age which could help with the cost of getting there and work clothes. We will look at what else you may need to complete your course.   

Work experience and voluntary work for relevant care leavers 

Speak with your social worker or Personal Advisor about any opportunities you have to take up work experience or volunteering. These are great ways to build your CV and experience. We will look at what you need to do this.

If you're doing work experience or voluntary work for more than 12 hours per week we can give you an incentive payment of up to £30 per week to help towards your additional costs such as: travel, lunches and suitable clothing.

Work clothes and equipment for relevant care leavers 

You can use your monthly clothing allowance to buy clothes and equipment you might need for work.

Travel to work for relevant care leavers

You can use your personal allowance to help you with the costs of travelling to work. You may be able to get help with the cost of your first month’s travel to a new job while you wait for your first pay cheque. We will check with you what you need.    

Help with childcare for relevant care leavers while working 

If you're working and claiming Universal Credit you can apply to the Jobcentre Flexible Support Fund for help paying for childcare.

If you're working and cannot get help with childcare costs we'll look at your money with you and see if there's anything we can do to help.

Events for relevant care leavers

We run events throughout the year designed to encourage you to think about your future. They're great fun, there's free food and we can help you get there. 

Speak to your Personal Advisor for more information. Hope to see you there!

Share this page