How we support your health as a qualifying care leaver.

Access health services for qualifying care leavers

Our team can advise you how to:

  • register with health services such as a GP (doctor), dentist and optician when you move house
  • get support to attend hospital or doctor's appointments
  • access specialist substance misuse services in Dorset
  • access local sexual health services such as a GP, pharmacies and sexual health clinics

Prescriptions for qualifying care leavers

You do not have to pay for prescriptions if you're 16 or 17 and you're in full-time education.

Once you're 18 years old you have to start paying for:

  • prescriptions
  • dental check-ups
  • eye tests

You're exempt from these charges if you're claiming Universal Credit.

You have to pay for your prescriptions if you're not in full-time education, or if you're working and you're on a low income.

If you do have to pay for prescriptions but you're on a low income you can complete an HC1 form to get help with these costs.

Mental health and wellbeing for qualifying care leavers

Our team can advise you how to:

  • move from children and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) to adult-based services, for example the community mental health team (CMHT)
  • access a variety of wellbeing services that are available locally

Find organisations who can help you if you need mental health or wellbeing support.

Health and relationships for former relevant care leavers

Our team can advise you on a range of health issues including:

  • diet
  • contraception
  • mental health and wellbeing
  • how to keep yourself fit and well

Find information about health and relationships on the NHS website.

Period products for relevant care leavers

We want to stop period poverty. We can give you free sanitary products if you need them.

Ask your Personal Adviser for more information. Or complete our form to get help with sanitary products for care leavers.

Maternity support for qualifying care leavers

Getting ready to be a parent as a former relevant care leaver

If you're working you'll get maternity pay from your employer when you take time off work to have your baby.

If you're not working you may be able to claim Universal Credit if you're a single person and you're more than 29 weeks pregnant.

Healthy Start vouchers

If you're pregnant or have children under the age of 4 you may be able to apply for Healthy Start vouchers. This means you could get free vouchers or payments every 4 weeks to spend on:

  • cow's milk
  • fresh, frozen or tinned fruit and vegetables
  • infant formula milk
  • fresh, dried and tinned pulses

You could also get free Healthy Start vitamins.

If you're claiming Universal Credit talk to your job coach about:

  • which benefits you may be able to claim
  • how you can access a Sure Start maternity grant that will help you buy essential items for your baby

Help with dental check-ups and prescriptions during maternity

While you're pregnant and during the first year of your baby's life you do not have to pay for:

  • dental check-ups
  • prescriptions

You must make sure your midwife or doctor completes and signs the maternity exemption certificate FW8 form to be eligible for these exemptions. Speak to your midwife or doctor to see if they can complete this certificate online.

If you're already a parent, we will take an interest in your child/ren and support you to do the best for them.  If you need help accessing childcare, we can tell you about the services that can help you do this.

Share this page