Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.


Find out if you're eligible for benefits

Use one of these benefits calculators to find out if you're eligible for benefits

If you're aged between 18 and 25, we will assess your needs for a setting up home grant. 

You'll be able to access a setting up home grant to help with white goods, and other essential things.

Our leaving care team and your personal adviser can support you with your money and budgeting. We can help you to:

  • open a bank account
  • find out about relevant money management courses
  • find information about how to access your Junior ISA(a fund of money set aside by the government), if you have one
  • get your National Insurance number, if you don't have one already
  • find exceptional financial support if you have an emergency
  • make sure you have appropriate identification documents (ID)
  • apply for benefits if you're in full-time education
  • apply for benefits if you're looking for work, or if you're unable to work due to your personal circumstances
  • apply for benefits if you need help to pay your rent or Council Tax
  • apply for PIP (Personal Independence Payments) if you have a disability or health condition that means you're eligible
  • apply for bursaries if you're in further or higher education
  • access rent and deposit schemes to secure your own home
  • buy essential things if you move into your own home
  • stay in touch with people who are important to you by helping with transport costs
  • access financial support if you're an unaccompanied asylum-seeking child (USAC)
  • arrange a personal allowance if you're in supported accommodation until you're 18 years old

Find out more about managing your money on our youth link pages. 

Contact us

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.