Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Health and wellbeing

While you're looked after (16 to 18 years old) you'll continue to be offered an annual health assessment by one of our looked after children nurses.

We'll give you a health passport when you turn 18 which is a summary of your health information. It includes details of:

  • your health history since childhood
  • any immunisations you've had
  • your current health needs

Speak to your personal advisor if you don't think you've received one.

Your carer will register you with health services in the area you live in. This could include:

  • GP (doctor)
  • dentist
  • optician

When you reach 18 years old

Access to health services 

We can:

  • help you register with health services, such as a GP, dentist and optician when you move home
  • give you information about getting help to pay for prescriptions
  • help you access support to attend hospital or doctor's appointments
  • access specialist substance misuse services in Dorset
  • give you information and support to access local sexual health services such as GPs, pharmacies and sexual health clinics

Mental health and wellbeing

Your personal advisor can give you:

  • support you to move from CAMHS to adult services
  • give you information about counselling services that are available locally

Find organisations who can help you if you need mental health or wellbeing support.

Health and relationships

Your personal advisor can offer you the support of a specialist nurse who works with looked after children and care leavers to give support and advice on a range of health issues including:

  • diet
  • contraception
  • mental health and wellbeing
  • how to keep yourself fit and well

Find information about health and relationships on the NHS website.

Help if you're a parent and a care leaver

If you're a parent, we will take an interest in your child/ren and support you to do the best for them

If you need help accessing childcare, we can tell you about the services that can help you do this. 

Contact the Care Leavers Team

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.