Education, training and employment
We want you to succeed in your education, training and employment.
You're expected to stay in education, training or employment with training until you're 18 years old to gain qualifications. After 18 we can look at the support you may need and you'll be able to access advice and guidance about your options at any age. We will ask you how you're doing and we'll record this in your personal education plan (PEP) or your Pathway Plan, or both. We'll be be ready to celebrate your achievements with you.
Specialist advisers from our partner agencies will make sure you have full and up-to-date advice about:
Not sure what to do with your future? We can help you access these projects that are for young people up to the age of 25 who are not in education, employment or training:
Our Where next? section may also help you with options if you're between 14 and 19 years old.
We can also offer you:
- support to apply for bursaries if you're in further or higher education
a financial assessment if your bursary doesn't meet your needs; we can consider support towards:
- transport costs when travelling for education or work purposes
- attending open days or job interviews
- essential clothing
- books for your course or work
- a bursary of £2,000 (subject to change each financial year) per year to help you with the cost of books, materials, trips and moving house if you're at university full-time, or a proportionate amount for part-time study
- support if you choose to go to university, such as helping you apply for student loans for your fees and living costs, help finding somewhere to live and we can also consider travel costs at the start and end of term and during the holidays
- opportunities for work experience, apprenticeships and employment within the council; if you're interested in a Dorset Council apprenticeship you will be guaranteed an interview and we can support you with your application and interview preparation
- the chance to attend and help organise celebration events when young people achieve education, training and employment milestones
We run events throughout the year designed to encourage you to think about your future. They're great fun, there's free food and we can help you get there.
Speak to your social worker or personal adviser for more information. Hope to see you there!