Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Education, work and benefits during the coronavirus emergency

Feeling anxious about the coronavirus?

Find helpful information about the coronavirus from the Become charity.

How will the coronavirus affect my work or benefits?


Check which benefits you could get during the coronavirus pandemic including Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and Universal Credit.


If you're continuing to work during this time and you have any concerns speak to your employer. Find guidance and more information about what your rights are from Citizens Advice.

If you're employed or self-employed and you can't work because of coronavirus you may still be able to claim up to 80% of your wages (up to a maximum of £2,500) through government grants. Find out more from GOV.UK.

Find out more about what coronavirus means for you and your work from the Money Advice Service.

Jobs and volunteering

Find different ways to help or earn money such as:

Child employment during the coronavirus pandemic

You can apply for a child work permit during the coronavirus. Find out how to apply for a child work permit.


Post-16 qualification results for summer 2020

Exams and assessments were cancelled this year due to coronavirus (COVID-19). Most students will get calculated grades, so they can progress to further study or employment. Read government guidance about how results have been awarded this year and where to find more information.

You may still be able to progress to the next stage of study of employment even if your grade isn’t what you wanted. Find out more about your options after you’ve got your exam results.

College or university

Contact your school, college or university to find out about arrangements they’re making for the next academic year.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.