Our aim for our young and thriving priority
Our aim is to set up our young people up success in adulthood. For them to:
- have good emotional wellbeing and mental health
- be able to be cared for by their families
- be supported to stay out of the youth justice system
What we're going to do to achieve our aims
For young people to have good emotional wellbeing and mental health
- make sure young people who use our services will be involved in decisions about how we help them; where professionals listen to them and understand their needs
- create and publish a range of personal development opportunities through developing community-based volunteering opportunities :
- peer support and peer mentoring programmes
- youth hubs for 16 to 24 year olds who are unemployed or at risk of unemployment or redundancy
- working with employers and businesses to improve their offers
For young people's activities
- support the provision of a wide range of positive activities for young people, including access to youth work such as:
- open access youth clubs
- detached youth work
- one-to-one and virtual or online youth work
- targeted issue-based group work programmes to support vulnerable young people whose needs might otherwise escalate. We will work with partners to deliver these programmes locally in line with the other priorities in this plan
For young people to be cared for by their families
- support young people at risk of coming into care (and their families) to remain in their family home through the development of edge of care services and will improve our support for adolescents to return home after time in care
- support young people that have been in care to be ready for adulthood by planning early and have a clear offer for care leavers. Partners will offer care leavers work experience and apprenticeship opportunities
- prepare young people with SEND for settled adulthood through developing a range of employment options
- support young people with SEND to develop the skills needed for employment and independent living
- work to reduce the inequalities in physical and mental health for young people with SEND and focus on improving transitions between services for all young people entering adulthood working together with Adult Social Care and health services to deliver a new Conception to Settled Adulthood Strategy
- make sure young people have access to a wide range of support to promote their emotional wellbeing and address their mental health concerns
- implement the NHS Long Term Plan ambitions for increased access to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) and implement the evidence-based Thrive Framework for a system-wide approach to wellbeing and mental health developed by the Anna Freud Centre and the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
- evaluate the Targeted Mental Health Service in schools with a view to expanding it to other areas of Dorset. We will also improve transitions between children's and adults' mental health services
For young people to be supported to stay out of the youth justice system
- support young people to avoid them entering the youth justice system
- support young people to prevent re-entry through restorative and creative approaches to low-level offending
- help avoid the criminalisation of young people that are being exploited
- develop a diversionary offer for young people who are vulnerable to exploitation
- increase the uptake of substance use services
Find help to support your child or young person to be young and thriving
Make young people feel welcome in communities.
Create opportunities for young people to get involved.
Take a look at our current information for young people.
Promote the range of information around emotional health and wellbeing support for young people:
- ChatHealth text messaging service
- Discovery Project Dorset
- Mental Health Support in Schools Dorset
If you are an employer offer work experience or apprenticeships for young people, prioritising children in care, or care experienced young people and children and young people with SEND.
Support to find work or training for work for young people.
Support to find education, training and employment for young people with SEND.