Preventing trips and falls - staying steady
Taking steps to improve and maintain health and general wellbeing is an important aspect of falls prevention. Keeping active, eating well, drinking enough fluids, paying attention to foot problems, and wearing properly fitting shoes can contribute to avoiding falls.
You could also try:
- taking regular exercise - dancing, gardening and tai chi are particularly good for improving your balance
- checking any medication you are taking does not affect your balance
- having regular eye tests to help identify problems that may affect your balance and coordination
- contacting your GP if you've had a fall or are worried about falling
- reporting any foot problems to your GP or chiropodist. We have details of home visit foot care services
You may want to ask your GP practice about strength and balance classes available in your area.
Age UK has further information on preventing falls including a downloadable booklet on keeping active and reducing your risk of falling.