Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Personal care in the home - long-term care

Personal assistants

Personal assistants can be employed whether you pay for your own support or have a personal budget from the council.

The role of a personal assistant (PA) is different to that of a care assistant as they are able to offer more varied and flexible support.

There are many benefits to employing a PA:

  • you choose who supports you
  • you decide what you want them to do
  • you decide when you want them to work

Live-in care

A care assistant can be employed to live in your home as a full time carer.

Live-in care may cost from £600 to £900 a week depending on the number of hours and support given.

Advantages of live-in care over a residential home include:

  • remaining in your own home
  • staying together with a partner and/or pets
  • maintaining your social life and still having holidays
  • giving added reassurance for relatives and friends
  • one to one support allowing you to build a relationship with your carer

Disadvantages of live-in care over a residential home include:

  • not being suitable for severe needs
  • requiring a spare room for an extra person
  • living with a stranger may not be right for you
  • becoming expensive over time and requiring financial planning

The Care Choices - Home Care Checklist gives a list of important things to think about when choosing a care agency.

Find a live-in care provider

Paying for your long-term care

There is further information about how to pay for care services in your own home.

We also have advice on financial care planning.

Our top ten things to think about will help you to plan your future care, even if you don't need support at the moment.


Advocacy is available if you need help to express your views and wishes.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.