Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Housing options for people with a learning or physical disability

Sheltered housing and extra care housing are not just for older people. They may be suitable if you are a younger person with a physical or learning disability.

You might be able to use your direct payment or personal budget to pay for additional care if it is not already given.

Some extra care schemes have been designed especially for disabled people.

Supported living

Supported Living is mainly for adults with care and support needs. It can be provided in a flat or house you rent or share.

The aim of Supported Living is to increase your independence over time. It does this by providing a package of support. This varies with individual need and ability and could be from a few hours a week to 24 hour support. Examples of support include:

  • managing a home and money
  • personal care and help with tasks such as shopping and cooking
  • accessing education opportunities
  • finding voluntary or paid employment
  • taking part in social and leisure activities and community life

Find a supported living provider

Shared Lives

Dorset Shared Lives is an alternative to supported living, domiciliary care and residential care homes for adults with care and support needs. It was previously known as ‘adult placement’. A Shared Lives carer and someone who needs support get to know each other and, if they both feel that they will be able to form a long-term bond, they share family and community life. This can mean that the person becomes a regular daytime or overnight visitor to the Shared Lives carer's household, or it means that the person moves in with the Shared Lives carer.

Shared Lives carers receive payment for the care and support that they provide, and where they provide long-term accommodation they will also be landlord and be paid rent.

Shared Lives schemes have to be registered with the Care Quality Commission if they provide the regulated activity of personal care, as is the case in Dorset. Dorset Council employ Shared Lives workers whose role includes recruitment, vetting, training and support of Shared Lives carers. It is the scheme’s provision of personal care that is regulated, not the individual accommodation which is owned or rented by Shared Lives carers.

The Shared Lives Team is led by a Registered Manager who is responsible for ensuring that the scheme is compliant with the regulations. A Nominated Individual is responsible for supervising the management of the regulated activity provided. 

Shared Lives Schemes nationally provide good value for money and are consistently judged to be high-performing services by the Care Quality Commission. If you want to know more, the Shared Lives Pluswebsite provides an insight into how great Shared Lives is.

Buying a house - shared ownership

It may be possible for you or your family to buy a share in a property. Learning Disability England have information about shared ownership.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.