Going into hospital
If you're going into hospital there are some things you may need to think about to prepare for your stay and your return home.
If you currently receive care and support services from your council, please contact us to let us know so we can suspend your services until you return home.
If you later find out your hospital stay has been postponed after telling us about it, please contact us.
Welfare benefits while in hospital
If you are going to be in hospital for more than 28 days, some benefits will be suspended until you return home. The contact numbers to let someone know are:
- Attendance Allowance - 0345 605 6055
- Disability Living Allowance - 0345 605 6055
- Personal Independence Payment - 0345 850 3322
- Carer's Allowance - inform online - or 0345 608 4321
The Cinnamon Trust may be able to help if you have pets who are going to be left at home while you are in hospital. They can arrange to foster or walk pets while you are away.
To make sure your home is secure while you are in hospital, you should:
- ask somebody to check on your house from time to time to make sure it is secure - they can also remove any post and make sure it is not visible from outside
- cancel your newspaper or milk deliveries
- check your home insurance to see whether the terms change if the house is unoccupied for a certain period of time
Alzheimer's Society has information on hospital stays if you or the person you care for has dementia.