Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Home management - help and advice

Sometimes home management tasks can mount up and make living at home difficult. Some people even think of moving into a care home when it all gets too much. You can get help with tasks in your home like:

  • housework and laundry
  • decorating, maintenance and gardening
  • shopping
  • dealing with bills and money matters

Our top ten things to think about will help you to plan your future care, even if you don't need support at the moment.

A Safe and Independent Living (SAIL) assessment can direct you to a wide range of help, advice and support services across Dorset.

Complete a SAIL form online

The Dorset Accessible Homes Service can help with jobs around the home. You can access this service if you live in Dorset (outside of Bournemouth or Poole) and are disabled, or aged over 50.

Care assistants

A care assistant or personal assistant could help if you with organising services, paying bills or general housework such as cooking and cleaning.

Equipment and adaptations

Independent Living Centres offer advice on equipment and home adaptations to help you to manage daily tasks.

Shopping and cooking

You can get help with shopping for food. You might need help if you cannot get to the shops easily or if you find shopping physically difficult.

There are a number of companies that offer a meal delivery service in Dorset. The meals can be hot, frozen or chilled and can be delivered to your door and on a temporary or permanent basis. Many of the meal providers are able to cater for special diets.

Find a meal delivery service

Maintaining Your Garden

If you need support with maintaining your garden, contact Age UK Dorchester's Information and Advice Service on 01305 269444 and they will signpost you towards local gardeners and trades persons that may be able to help.

Rubbish Collection

If you are disabled or physically unable to move your bins and there is no one else who can help, we can collect them from a point on your property, such as your back door. This is called an assisted bin collection.

You can request an assisted bin collection on behalf of someone else if you have their permission. 

Apply for an assisted bin collection

Help getting online

We have details of organisations across Dorset who can help you to learn how to use computers in our service provider directory.

Get help to use a computer

Digital Champions help and support people in their local community to use the internet and gain basic online skills.

Find a Digital Champion

Moving home

If you feel unable to continue living in your own home, we have advice on housing options such as downsizing or moving into sheltered accommodation.

Further information

You may also want to look at these pages:

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.