Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

What is the financial assessment

How we find out if we will pay towards the cost of your care and support.

You may be eligible to receive financial support from the council if you have savings or investments (available capital) of less than £23,250.

The financial assessment will be different based upon whether you will be receiving care services in your own home, which includes short breaks away, or if you will be in a residential care home or a nursing home.

The financial assessment will usually be carried out over the telephone, although if necessary an assessment officer could come to your home.  

The assessment is made up of different sections, which are:


We will ask you to provide information and evidence about your savings and any other assets you have. These could include:

  • bank/building society/Post Office accounts
  • property you own 
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs), bonds or trusts
  • life assurance bonds
  • stocks and shares
  • Premium Bonds
  • cash

If you give away assets to avoid paying the full fees, the value of these assets will still be included in your assessment.

Income (any money you receive)

We will ask you to provide information and evidence of any money you have coming in including:

  • state pension
  • private pension
  • occupational pension
  • Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
  • Income Support
  • Attendance Allowance
  • annuities or trust income (savings income)

Housing related costs

We will ask you to provide information and evidence of any money you spend relating to your home including:

  • mortgage payments
  • rent (that you pay)
  • council tax
  • service charges/ground rent, if these apply 
  • buildings insurance (that you pay)

Other housing related expenses such as gas, electric, water or food are not included. This is because an allowance is made for these in our calculation. The amount allowed is set by the Government.

Disability related expenditure

This only applies if you will be receiving care in your own home and will not be going into a residential care home.

Disability related expenditure (DRE) refers to any outgoings you have as a result of your disabilities, and which enable you to maintain your independence or quality of life. 

DRE may take into account any general household expenses that relate to your disability or illness. These may include:

  • electricity, gas or other fuel bills
  • water bills
  • personal care
  • clothing
  • food
  • assistive living items

If you feel you do have a DRE you will need to:

  • provide evidence from your GP or other health or social care professional
  • tell us how much you are paying and provide evidence

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.