Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Debt advice

Help and advice

If you have debts and find that you are not able to make any of your repayments or if you're facing the threat of court action, you should get help quickly. Don't ignore the debt, it won't just go away. It's very important that you seek free, independent debt advice as soon as possible.

Citizens Advice and the Money Advice Service provide a range of information and advice.

Our service provider directory lists a number of organisations who provide advice and support.


If you're unable to pay your gas, electricity or water bills, many of the companies offer schemes to help you; contact your energy supplier as soon as possible.

Citizens Advice provide practical help if you are unable to pay your bills.


You may be entitled to benefits if you are on a low income.

Food banks

If you do not have enough money for food you can ask to be referred to a food bank by a social worker, health visitor, church leader, Dorset Fire and Rescue Community Support Officer, your housing association or an adviser from Citizens Advice. They will assess that you meet the criteria, issue you with a voucher and advise you of your nearest food bank.

Find your nearest food bank

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.