How do we address our challenges?
Our area has a perceived affluence that masks some significant challenges that must be addressed to achieve economic growth.
- the ‘productivity challenge’; low average skills level amongst the workforce and a high proportion of businesses in lower added-value activity
- high economic dependence on sectors in decline
- poor housing affordability
- new homes completion rates below target
- the ‘demographic crunch’; an increasing proportion of elderly people and a declining proportion of younger working age people in the population
- constrained infrastructure
An evidence-based approach
This Strategy was created by assessing a variety of commissioned research and feasibility studies. These studies identified issues, challenges and opportunities in Western Dorset. (With thanks to the Dorset LEP through Growth Deal 2)
Having identified the barriers to economic growth, possible interventions needed and where investment should be concentrated, the Strategy evolved in to 5 clear programmes of work.
Get in touch