Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.


Report it!

If you see a fly-tip, make a note of where it is, take a picture if you can, and note down any other details. Never touch the waste or confront fly-tippers.

You can report it to us by: -

Where there is sufficient evidence we will continue to investigate all reported fly-tipping incidents and we will attempt to trace and prosecute anyone found to be fly-tipping on public land.

Make sure you're covered

Rubbish you've handed to someone else is still your legal responsibility until it is correctly disposed of. If someone - such as an unlicensed 'man in a van' found online - were to fly-tip that waste, you could end up paying a fine or being taken to court.

Make sure you are covered when handing over your waste: -

  1. check they are a registered Waste Carrier by visiting the Environment Agency's webpageor calling them on 03708 506 506
  2. ask to see a Waste Carrier's certificate
  3. request a Waste Transfer Note. This is a paper receipt that states what you've handed over and who has taken it

If a builder, tradesman, gardener etc. transports waste on your behalf - such as debris left over from a job they've done for you - they also need to be registered as a Waste Carrier and dispose of any materials in a responsible manner.

Love your HRC

Most fly-tips in Dorset consist of household waste that could have been taken to a household recycling centre (HRC, or "the tip") and disposed of completely free of charge.

There are 10 HRCs across Dorset, open daily, free to visit and do not charge for most items.

If you have a van or trailer, you can easily apply for a permit - the process is easy and approval is usually instant.

Items that are free to drop off include: -

  • household rubbish and recycling
  • furniture - (eg. Sofas, tables, chairs, patio furniture)
  • white goods - (eg. Fridges, cookers, washing machines)
  • garden waste
  • clothing and textiles

A small number of items incur a charge when taken to an HRC.

Material that has come from commercial activity, including work carried out by a builder or tradesperson on your behalf, cannot be accepted at any household recycling centre.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.