Each year there are around 3,300 births recorded in Dorset and, at an estimated 2,200 nappies per baby per year, this means there are about seven million used disposable nappies entering the Dorset household waste stream every year.
Sending all used disposable nappies in Dorset to landfill presently costs the councils around £600,000 per year.
Using reusable nappies is cheaper. One pack of disposable nappies per week for up to two and a half years can cost over £1,000 per child. Alternatively, using washable ones can make you a saving of over £600 and they can be reused for subsequent children. Many companies recognise that the initial outlay for the nappies is expensive and allow you to pay for the nappies in instalments.
It has been estimated one baby produces 5,000 to 6,000 disposables in the few years it requires nappies. In comparison, a baby only needs 20 to 40 modern washable nappies. The choice is yours - 6,000 disposable nappies or 40 reusable ones.
You can find more information about reusable nappies on the Go Real Facebook page.
You can also watch an introductory videoabout the many benefits of using washable nappies.
Reusable nappy incentive scheme
Parents can choose between two schemes
Parents can apply for a £30 voucher from Dorset Council Waste Services. When the voucher is sent to them, a list of Dorset Reusable Nappy retailers will also be included. Parents can spend their voucher with one of the retailers listed. The voucher will expire after two months.
Parents can buy their real nappies from any retailer of their choice, including those on the internet. They then need to fill in an application form and send it to the council, along with an itemised receipt. Receipt dates must be within two months of application. A payment of £30 will be paid into the parent's bank account.
How to apply
You can apply for one of the real nappies incentive schemes online.
If you would prefer, you can download our paper application form and return it to us with proof of address, plus a photocopy of the baby's birth certificate (or a photocopy of a MAT B1 form if the baby has not yet been born).
Please note the following:
- a minimum spend of £45 applies, which must be made in a single transaction. Those people applying for a refund will be required to send in a copy of an itemised receipt
- parents can buy reusable nappies, wraps and also real nappy accessories, such as nappy buckets or liners
- babies must be aged 18 months or under and must live in Dorset
- only one claim can be made per baby
- parents will be asked to send proof of address plus a photocopy of the baby's birth certificate (or a photocopy of a MAT B1 form if the baby has not yet been born)
- parents could be contacted for feedback at a later date
- applications submitted for older children with an existing medical condition, will be considered on a ‘case by case’ basis
This offer is also open to foster parents.
Please note 300 applications will be accepted from 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021. Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
For any further questions about the scheme, please email us.