The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs has published guidance for the public and businesses on how to dispose of personal or business waste, including face coverings and PPE, during the coronavirus pandemic.
If you need to throw away used face coverings or PPE, such as gloves you should:
- dispose of them in the ‘black bag’ waste bin at home or at work, or a litter bin if outside
- not put them in a recycling bin as they cannot be recycled through conventional recycling facilities
- take them home if there is no litter bin – do not drop them as litter.
You do not need to:
- put them in an extra bag
- store them for a time before throwing them away
Those running a business or organisation should:
- provide extra bins for staff and customers to throw away their face coverings and PPE, and any other additional waste, such as takeaway packaging and disposable tableware
- make sure that staff and customers do not put face coverings and PPE in a recycling bin as they cannot be recycled through conventional recycling facilities
- make sure bins are emptied often so they do not overflow and create litter.