You may get Council Tax Support if:

  • you pay Council Tax
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
  • you receive Pension Credit
  • your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

If you make a claim for or already receive Universal Credit, this will not include Council Tax Support so you will need to make a claim for Council Tax Support with your local council to help pay your Council Tax.

You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, you will need to make a claim together.

Who isn’t eligible

Usually you won’t get Council Tax Support if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit
  • you do not have to pay council tax or exempt from paying it
  • you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
  • you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds

Share this page