A SENCO arranges extra support for children and young people with special educational needs or disability (SEND).
Their job is to:
- make sure the SEND policy is used every day
- help staff support children with SEND
- work with parents to help their child
- work with local council support services
- work with other professionals, such as health services
Where SENCOs work
Early years settings
Early years settings must meet the SEND needs of the children they look after.
To do this they might:
- find someone who can take on the SENCO job; childminders usually cover the role themselves
- share the SENCO job among a group of people
Find out more about SENCOs in early years settings.